Applications for Affordable Housing

Priority Given to Applicants with a Strong Local Connection

Following the recent drop-in event at the Clubroom, villagers are now able to apply for the affodable homes under construction at Islington. Five of the affordable properties are available to rent and one property (3 bed house) is available on a shared ownership basis (part purchase/ part rent). All of the affordable homes will be managed by Northamptonshire Rural Housing Association and priority is given to applicants with a strong local connection to Titchmarsh, either through residency, employment or by having close relatives living in the village. Details of the local connection criteria are enshrined in a Section 106 Agreement which is part of the planning permission and should be read in conjunction with the Council’s Allocation policy.

Interested applicants for the rented accommodation need to be registered on ENC’s Housing Register. This is operated by Midland Heart and is known as Homes Direct. This is  an on line system and  is accessed at Hard copies of the application form are also available and assistance can be provided in completing the form in person or over the telephone by telephoning 0345 600 500.

As the properties will be completed in July it is essential that any applicants register as soon as possible so that their application can be processed.  All  registered applicants will be contacted when the properties are to be advertised so that they can indicate if they wish to be considered. However, interested applicants are encouraged to check the weekly cycle to see what properties are available.

How to Apply for Housing

Click here to open the Homes Direct website. (Will open in a neww window)

Step 1 – Register your details. This will give you a reference number. You will need this to login in the future so make sure you write it down and keep it somewhere safe. You will be asked to set a memorable date. You have to enter all the digits and forward slash — eg 5th October 1970 is 05/10/1970. 

Step 2 – You now have two options to choose what type of application you wish to make.

1. Apply for Rented Housing.
2. Apply for Mutual Exchange.

How to Bid for a Property 

On the Home Page Click Property search Tab. On the left hand side there is menu and you can search for all properties across homes direct national scheme however if you only want to look at properties locally click the East Northants Properties for Rent button. This is the 3rd button down on the left handside menu.

This will list all the properties in this area that are available you need to look through the adverts for the type of property that you are eligible for, after each advert there will either be a red box saying why you are not eligible for this property or a green box saying you are eligible and a button to click if you wish to apply for this property. If you apply for the property it will ask you to confirm your details are correct and once your bid has been placed it will give you a bid number. 

The advertising cycles runs every week from Wednesday Am to Sunday night, so you will need to login every week to see what is available. Please note that properties are not added during the cycle. 

If there are any properties that are advertised that you think you should be eligible for and it is not allowing you to apply please call us so that we can check. 

When the cycle closes all the applications are checked and verified, you can check on the status of your bid, if it states open this means that the property has not yet been allocated. If you are at the top of the list or close to the top, you will be contacted and asked to provide your supporting documents this will include ID, proof of benefits, child benefit and child tax credit award letters need to show the names of the child/children you are claiming for and a recent bank statement showing the payments being credited. DLA will need to show the care and mobility component and proof of your address. 

You will have 24 hours to supply this so please ensure that you have easy access to these documents (especially child benefit. If you do not have a letter from them you might like to apply now for one as this can take some time to arriN e) should you be unable to supply the documents you may be overlooked for the property.

Leave a Comment