This is a very fast moving day and I will try to provide as much info as possible below.
UK lockdown: what are the new coronavirus restrictions?
With immediate effect, you can only leave your home for very specific reasons:
- Shopping for basic necessities only including food and medicines
- One form of exercise a day – alone with members of your houshold
- Any medical needs or to provide care for a vulnerable person
- Travel to work but only where absolutely necessary and where it cannot be done from home. (assuming your place of work is still open)
These rules are not optional. They are essential to protect all of us. The police have the power to enforce these rules. If you cannot demonstate a specific reason for being out of your home you can be fined.
- Shops selling non-essential goods are being told to shut and gatherings in public of more than two people who do not live together are to be prohibited.
- Food shops, pharmacies, banks and post offices to remain open.
- Weddings, baptisms and other ceremonies should not take place.
- Funerals can still take place but only with close relatives.
Boris Johnson had already ordered pubs, restaurants, cafes, nightclubs, gyms, theatres, cinemas and schools to close last week.
A fast-tracked bill is also expected to become law by the end of this week.
- Authorities have the power to detain people and test them for coronavirus, forcing them into isolation if they test positive and finning them £1,000 if they refuse.
- Supermarkets must give the government information on whether there will be disruptions to their supply chains.
- Employers can claim for the cost of statutory sick pay from the government when an employee has coronavirus.
- Local authorities have sweeping powers to order people to dispose of dead bodies in the event that death management becomes an issue.
- The government can close down any shop, bar, restaurant or club, and stop people from entering.
- The enhanced powers can remain in effect until 2022.
How this affects Titchmarsh
The various village groups and organisations have already taken fairly strident action so last night’s announcement doesn’t change much. However, the following should be noted.
- The children’s playground on the playing fields has been closed. The rest of the space including the pitches will still be open and accessible for dog walking etc, just the Play Area and equipment will be closed.
Spread the word
Click the links above to share this post on your social media pages!