A local charity supporting the elderly, unwell, disadvantaged and those with disabilities
We aim to help people keep their independence, stay living in their own homes and remain an active part of the community. We provide a community car scheme, a befriending service and an enhanced referral service. All drivers and befrienders are volunteers.
Our members can
- take part in everyday activities that are so easily taken for granted
- visit friends and relatives or do their shopping
- go to the doctor, dentist, clinics and hospitals including Addenbrookes, Leicester or further afield
- have a like-minded person visit regularly in their own home
- get advice on other help available, including support to access those services and follow-up calls to ensure the help has been suitable
In 2016 Volunteer Action celebrated 21 years of service. We have grown to be an organisation keeping around 80 volunteer drivers, 35 volunteer befrienders and 7 office volunteers busy helping over 750 members. Drivers covered over 85,600 miles in 2015 and befrienders donated over 700 hours of their time providing a friendly service to our befriendees.
Membership is free and drives are charged at 40p per mile with a minimum cost of £3. This money goes directly to the volunteer driver to cover their running costs. A typical return drive from Titchmarsh to the surgery in Thrapston costs £3 and to Kettering General Hospital £12.80. We ask for 2 working days notice for bookings except emergency medical appointments.There is no cost for the befriending or referral service.
We welcome new members every day.
We would love to hear from you if you can volunteer for us. Whether you want to give us a day a month or 5 days a week, we welcome your contribution.
T: 01832 275433
Fletton House, Fletton Way, Oundle, PE8 4JA